Recipe: Summer Orzo
This is one of our favorite summertime meals. It’s a light and tasty dish that doesn’t have too many ingredients and doesn’t take a lot of time to prepare. The original recipe came from Martha Stewart's Fresh Flavor Fast Cookbook. I brown my orzo first and and add onion and garlic for a little more flavor. It’s also great with a little fresh basil added, although my husband and son like to add ghost pepper flakes for a kick!
2-3 TBL. Olive oil or butter
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
One 16 oz. box, Orzo
32 oz. Chicken stock
1 c. frozen corn
1 c. frozen green beans
Salt & Pepper to taste
2-3 Chicken Breasts, cooked and shredded
1. On medium heat (4 setting), heat oil or melt butter in a large pot or skillet.
2. Add onions and garlic and sauté about 5 minutes.
3. Add orzo to onions, stirring occasionally until orzo becomes slightly browned.
4. Add approximately two-thirds of the chicken stock and bring to a boil.
5. Add corn and greens beans, cover with a lid and reduce heat to medium-low (2 setting).
6. Simmer on low (covered) stirring occasionally until orzo and green beans are al dente. Add more chicken stock as needed. (I usually end up using the entire 32 oz. or chicken stock, but I like to stir the orzo and add it gradually.)
7. Stir in cooked chicken, heat throughout and serve.